Monday 11 July 2011

Quick Bites: Chimichurri dip

Chimichurri is a traditional Argentinean dip, kind of like their version of pesto! I discovered chimichurri when shopping in borough market one day and I was instantly hooked. It was a little pricey, so once I used up my first pot, I've had to learn how to make my own. I experimented quite a bit with it so only use this recipe as a guideline. Admittedly, it wasn't as good as the borough market version, and I still can't figure out why to this day!



You'll need:
·         1 cup of fresh parsley
·         1/2 cup of fresh oregano leaves
·         4 cloves garlic
·         Half a medium red chilli, roughly chopped
·         1/2 cup of good quality olive oil
·         1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
·         Sea salt and ground pepper
Using a blitzer/small food processor, add the fresh herbs and roughly chopped chilli and blend until finely chopped. Mince some garlic and add to the processor, season with salt and pepper and pulse again. Stir in the wet ingredients, and taste. If something is missing, add it. Sometimes just a squeeze of lemon can balance out the flavours perfectly!
I used this as a marinade for steaks and also reserved some to spoon over once cooked. It will give your steak that refreshing taste of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment