Tuesday 8 March 2011

Happy pancake day!

Pancake day, or shrove Tuesday, is definitely one of the days in my foodie calendar that I look forward to. Not only does it mean that spring has almost sprung, but it also means you can indulge completely guilt-free.
I woke up with an awful cold this morning, but was determined to make some breakfast pancakes. I won’t bother with a recipe as they are circulating the internet like crazy at the moment, but I spiced my batter up a bit by adding 2 tablespoons of coconut powder and of course, a whole lotta sugar! My toping of choice was the not-so-traditional nutella, but I never understood the appeal of sour lemon and a soggy pancake.
As shrove Tuesday marks the start of lent, pancakes were traditionally used as one last bit of indulgence for all things you were meant to give up, including butter and eggs! Seeing as I won’t be doing that, I substituted my butter for some olive oil and only used butter to season the pan before each pancake, which gave me the same flavour but less calories!
I enjoyed my pancakes with some freshly brewed Fortnum and Mason’s Countess Grey tea, which I received as a present from my boyfriend’s family a few months ago.




The perfect breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment